Ancestry DNA Filipino Map

My husband is Filipino. When people see him, they are always confused about his ethnicity because he looks mixed. We were curious about his DNA but we were disappointed with the Ancestry DNA results we received. Why? When it comes to the East Asian region the results were not nearly as specific as the results are for say European or African ancestry (like mine were). His ethnicity estimate results came out to be 73% Asia (67% Asia East, 5% Asia South, and a trace of Asia Central), and 27% Pacific Islander (Polynesia).

Ancestry DNA Filipino Chart

Ancestry DNA Filipino Results

According to the genealogy DNA results, these are the areas specific to each DNA region:

• Asia East: Russia, China, North Korea, South Korea, Mongolia, Myanmar (Burma), Japan, Taiwan, Philippines, Indonesia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Singapore, Brunei, Palau
  • Asia South: India, Pakistan, Nepal, Bhutan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, and also found in Myanmar (Burma)
  • Asia Central: Afghanistan, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, and also found in Iran, Pakistan
  • Polynesia: Tonga, Samoa, and also found in Fiji, New Zealand (Maori), Micronesia, Philippines, Melanesia, Hawaii

Being that he is Filipino, no new information about his ancestry was gained from these results. He is 67% Asia East and 27% Pacific Islander but both of those regions include the Philippines. One of the primary reasons we ordered this DNA test was to learn what part of East Asia are his ancestors from. Is it China? Korea? Japan? Chinese people tend to think he is mixed with Chinese, Korean people think he is mixed with Korean, and Japanese people think he is part Japanese. Unfortunately we still do not know what his unique mix is.

Despite the lack of specificity in the DNA results, the information given in the report was very interesting and I learned about the major regions in my husband’s chart.

Asia East

Apparently the majority of Chinese and Koreans are considered ethnic Han which makes them one of the largest ethnic groups. In the 18th and 19th century most of Southeast Asia and Indonesia was colonized by Europe, and Spain controlled the Philippines. During World War II Japan expanded their empire and occupied Korea, China, the Philippines, and most of the Indonesian archipelago. Eventually Japan was defeated and most nations claimed independence from colonial rule.

Pacific Islands

The Pacific islands were the last places on earth to be settled by humans and there are 2 popular theories about the migration pattern of Pacific Islanders or Polynesians:

1. Polynesians originated from Formosa (now Taiwan). Austronesian migrants went south to the Philippines, then continued to maritime Southeast Asia
  2. Austronesian roots do not lie in the north, but deeper Southeast Asia

Ancestry DNA Review for Filipinos

If a person wants to know what part of East Asia their ancestors are from, I would not recommend Ancestry DNA at the moment. I know that their DNA reference library is expanding and that they will continue to give more specific results as they become available. And of course when that happens I will post an update here and post the new and improved DNA ethnicity results!

Filipino Ancestry DNA Not Specific Enough
Tagged on:

21 thoughts on “Filipino Ancestry DNA Not Specific Enough

• January 5, 2017 at 8:51 AM

Are you familiar with GEDmatch.com? The site is a bit confusing to use, but you can download your raw DNA data from the Ancestry site, and run it through the GEDmatch databases, which are more detailed.

There are instructions online on how to do it.

• February 28, 2017 at 5:41 AM

Thanks for sharing your research results .

• April 12, 2017 at 11:39 PM

It’s been over a year; any news?

• May 21, 2017 at 2:10 AM

I just received my DNA result and surprisingly almost 90% similar to yours:
    65% east Asian
    28% Polynesian
    7% uncertain or the gray on the pie

• August 19, 2017 at 7:53 PM

I took the test and have almost similar results

69% Asia
    70% Polynesia

I thought Filipinos are mixed race. What happened to my Spanish blood?

• August 21, 2017 at 5:52 PM

Mine is 69% Asian 30%polynesian same as everyone

What happened to my spanish blood that both sides of my parents and relatives has? Test made me more re confused.

• December 9, 2017 at 11:05 AM

Was their percentages small? Maybe you didn’t inherit any because it’s so small.

• September 17, 2017 at 5:05 PM

We did AncestryDNA
    My moms mother born in Ireland. She was a red haired fair skinned Irish woman
    Her father born in Philippines. He was a dark short Filipino man

My mother came up with NO ASIAN in her DNA. She came up Irish and Italian!

Is this a possibility if he is her father?

• May 9, 2018 at 9:39 AM

My paternal grandmother is from the Philippines, from a mixed family. Her brother is on Ancestry and his DNA shows Iberian, Polynesian, Melanesian and East Asian heritage.

I did Ancestry, and it matched him to me as a “close relative to first cousin.” Based on what I know of my family history, I should have had a combined 12 percent or so of DNA reflecting Filipino ancestry. Based on his results, that should be mainly Polynesian, Melanesian and East Asian.

I got 1 percent each of Polynesian and Melanesian and no East Asian, although I also got 5 percent South Asian with no idea where it came from (doesn’t match any other cousins).

I’ve read that sometimes women don’t get as accurate results from our father’s side because we don’t have Y chromosomes, so maybe that’s the problem?

• October 4, 2017 at 12:58 PM

Filipinos always think that because of Spanish last names doesn’t make us Spaniard. Like African-Americans using White English last names. We are mostly East Asians with Polynesians mixed with it. The notion of having European or American blood flowing in our DNA are only to those people who you could admittedly agree by their appearance. The mass migration of Hispanic people in the Philippines happened after our independence from United States going to other Spanish-speaking countries. The Chavacano people in the Philippines are the ones mostly related to Spain. Most of their appearances are of mixed Spanish-Filipino which you could identify.

• August 12, 2018 at 2:19 AM

Filipinos are “Spanish” in last name in a majority of cases. Spanish for 400 years didn’t really mix with natives. Through the church they baptized the natives and gave them Spanish last names. I am pilipino with a Spanish last name with no Spanish dna. pilipinos ancestors came from Taiwan and east asia the Polynesian dna originated in Taiwan (Formosa) if you look at their native people there are striking similarity’s to present day Filipinos. I think the only way ancestry.com can isolate Filipino dna is if they extract native tribsl Filipino dna and used that as a base to isolate the pinoy dna being that the phillipines was in the middle of the ocean asa trading center for centuries it makes sense that we are Polynesian East Asian. I consider myself more pacific islander than Asian.

• November 13, 2017 at 3:53 PM

I just recv’d my results 11/10/18. I consider myself full-Filipino.
    67% Asia East (Philippines & Guam)
    23% Polynesia
    4% Asia South
    4% Iberian Peninsula
    2% Asia Central

After reading several articles like this one, I’ve not submitted my raw DNA data to DNALab – so it will be interesting to see what those results look like.

• December 9, 2017 at 11:03 AM

My father is Chinese and my mother is Filipino. My sister did the DNA testing through 23andMe and it confirmed we did have some Spanish ancestry. My mom always went on about our Spanish great grandfather but every Filipino says that so we wanted to see. We did have some Spanish but only like less than 5% but she likes to exaggerate . Anyway, my sister’s results showed approximately 20% Chinese, 70% Southeast Asian, 3% Southern European (Iberian), 1% South Asian, .8% Korean, <1% Oceanian.

I took my test and was disappointed because it gave me 90% Southeast Asian and 8% Chinese, and 2% Iberian. My dad is Chinese so it should be way higher. I am thinking 23andMe reads Southern Chinese as Southeast Asian so it lumps it together. Also, as Filipino I thought I would have higher Oceanian but surprisingly we don't.

Oddly enough, other platforms I tested on reads small traces of South Asian and Oceanian in my blood. GED Match was more detailed and showed that I had about 40-50% Chinese and the other half Malayan which seemed way more accurate.

• December 17, 2017 at 6:28 PM

Paternal side Negros Occidental, Maternal Cebu. Male, tested with 23andMe V5 chip.
    SOUTHEAST/EAST ASIAN
    95.7%
    EUROPEAN
    2.8%
    SOUTH ASIAN
    0.8%
    AFRICAN
    0.3%
    OCEANIA
    0.2%
    UNASSIGNED
    0.3%

• March 6, 2018 at 7:28 PM

This is true. Filipinos were also given their names by their Spanish landlords. And if they were slaves, they took on their slaveowners’ names. Mexico also had a direct trade route to and from the Philippines (established by the Spaniards), and many of them took on Spanish names for the same reasons, and settled in the Philippines as well. But I’m not a history buff. I just did some research on this myself. Because we always knew that somewhere a few generations prior, we had Spanish ancestry, and it seems evident in my relatives’ physical features. However, I just did my own DNA testing, and nothing Spanish even came up! Sardinian (Italian) did, and so did Dravidian (which is made up of people from India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Nepal, Maldives, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka.) Fascinating! And could possibly explain our physical features, which we assumed were Spanish, which would’ve been the obvious explanation. But the Filipino culture tends to still be under the colonial mentality cloud, and tend to romanticize the idea of being of European descent, and favor people with those traits over the indigenous Filipino traits. DNA testing is such an interesting thing. I sent my DNA samples to MyHeritage.com. The results were quite vague and generalized, so I sent my raw data to DNA.land and Gedmatch.com for further details. The most generalized findings were nearly the same. But the smaller percentages of non-Asian varied between companies.

• May 3, 2018 at 12:31 AM

yes because Polynesian Mongoloid O1 And East Asian has O3 so accurate

• December 2, 2018 at 7:41 PM

Wish I read this first before I took my DNA TEST,I was a little bit dissapointed on the result today coz it say’s I’m 100% Filipino.People always mistaken me of being a Korean,chinese,vietnamese,japanese and this is the reason why I did the DNA TEST.But I guess as filipino we are all mixed on everything and its hard to determine which one.

• December 8, 2018 at 3:16 AM

My results came back and it said “100% Philippines”. I thought that was a little vague. Does anyone else have the same result?